Rancho Santa Fe began as Rancho San Dieguito, a land
grant of nearly 9,000 acres made to Juan María Osuna in
1845. The Santa Fe Railway Company later used the land
to plant thousands of eucalyptus trees for use as railroad
ties. In the 1920s Rancho Santa Fe became one of the state's
first planned communities unified by a single architectural
theme, the Spanish Colonial Revival. Lilian Rice, one
of California's first successful women architects, supervised
the development and designed many of the buildings.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Rancho Santa Fe Historical Society and the Rancho Santa Fe Association, June 2, 1989.