From the Guidebook:
The first commercial manufacturing
of dynamite in the U.S. occurred in what is now Glen Canyon
Park. On March 19, 1868, the Giant Powder Company began
production at its first manufacturing plant, under exclusive
license from Alfred Nobel to produce his new explosive
in America. The factory did not last long. On November
26, 1869, an explosion completely destroyed the entire
facility, turning every one of the buildings on the place,
and the surrounding fencing, into "hundreds of pieces,"
according to a newpaper account. The company moved its
operations elsewhere, an action that was to be repeated
again in the future under similar circumstances, until
it moved to its permanent and final home at Point Pinole
on San Pablo Bay.