.

#192:  "El Dorado," "Parker House," and "Dennison's Exchange"

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

750 Kearny St at Merchant, San Francisco

37.795057,-122.404662

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

The 'El Dorado,' the 'Parker House,' and 'Dennison's Exchange' were among the most famous hotel and gambling resorts around San Francisco in the early 1850s. The Jenny Lind Theatre replaced the Parker House in 1850. The third Jenny Lind Theatre, opened by Tom Maguire on October 4, 1851 on the same site as the two preceding it, which were destroyed in the fires of 1851, was purchased by the City of San Francisco in 1852 for use as the city hall.

From the plaque:

Site of the Jenny Lind Theatre and San Francisco City Hall

The third Jenny Lind Theatre was opened by Tom Maguire on October 4, 1851 on the same site as the two preceding it, which were destroyed in the fires of 1851. In 1852 the City of San Francisco purchased this theatre 1852 for use as the city hall.

Tablet placed by California Centennials Commission with the cooperation of the Society of California Pioneers. Dedicated November 15, 1949.


©2009 David Schmitt