From the Guidebook:
In the spring of 1848, the
old Central or Long Wharf was built 'from the bank in
the middle of the block between Sacramento and Clay Streets,
where Leidesdorff Street now is, 800 feet into the Bay.'
After 1850 it was extended 2,000 feet and the Pacific
mail steamers and other large vessels anchored there.
Central or Long Wharf is now Commercial Street.