From the plaque:
William Tecumseh Sherman
established the branch bank of Lucas, Turner & Co.
in San Francisco in 1853. He settled the firm in their
own building on the northeast corner of Jackson and Montgomery
Streets in the spring of 1854. Sherman successfully carried
the bank through the financial crisis of 1855, and remained
until it discontinued business in 1857.
Tablet placed by California Centennials Commission with the cooperation of the Society of California Pioneers. Dedicated January 17, 1950.