From the plaque:
The Gardens once occupied
the block bounded by Mission, Duboce, Valencia, and 14th
Streets, with the main entrance on Mission Street. R. B. Woodward opened his
gardens to the public in 1866 as an amusement park catering
to all tastes. It was San Francisco's most popular
resort until it closed in 1892.
Tablet placed by California Centennials Commission with the cooperation of the Society of California Pioneers. Dedicated December 15, 1947.