From the plaque:
In February 1893, Mr. Edward
F. Searles donated the Hopkins Mansion to the University
of California in trust for the San Francisco Art Institute
for 'instruction in and illustration of the fine arts,
music, and literature,' and as San Francisco's first cultural
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the San Francisco Art Institute, The Mark Hopkins Hotel, and California Historical Society, October 20, 1961.