.

#791:  Original Site of Bancroft Library

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

W side of Valencia St, South of Cesar Chavez St at the St. Luke's Hospital campus, San Francisco

37.747511,-122.420374

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

In 1860 Hubert Howe Bancroft began to collect the wealth of material which was to result in the writing of his monumental history of western North America. His library was located here in 1881, in 1905 it was purchased by the University of California and moved the following year to Berkeley.

From the plaque:

Here, from 1881-1906, stood the library of Hubert Howe Bancroft, who in 1860 began to collect the wealth of material which was to subsequently result in the writing of the monumental history of Western North America.. In 1905, the library was purchased by the University of California and removed the following year to its Berkeley campus.

Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Friends of the Bancroft Library, The California Historical Society, and St. Luke's Hospital, November 24, 1964.


©2009 David Schmitt