From the plaque:
This, San Francisco's
first fireproof building, erected in 1853 by Henry Wager
Halleck, was the headquarters for many outstanding
lawyers, financiers, writers, actors, and artists. James
King of William, editor of the Bulletin, died here on
May 14, 1856 after being shot by James Casey.
Escaping destruction in the fire of 1906, the building is preserved in memory of those who lived and worked in it.
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Sociey of California Pioneers.