From the plaque:
9, 1846, in the early morning, in "the days when the water came up to Montgomery Street,"
Commander John B. Montgomery - for whom Montgomery Street was named - landed near this spot from
the U.S. Sloop-of-War "Portsmouth," to raise the Stars and
Stripes on the Plaza, now Portsmouth Square, one block to the west.
Tablet placed by the Native Sons of the Golden West. 1915.