From the plaque:
On this block, then on Yerba
Buena's waterfront, stood the California headquarters
of the Hudson's Bay Company. Their chief trader, William
G. Tae, purchased the property and started operations
in 1841. This venture caused wide speculation about British
intentions. Inadequate profits, a declining fur catch,
and pressure of U.S. expansion caused Hudson's Bay Company
to end its California operations.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Redwood Coast Outpost of the "Westerners", April 17, 1968.