.

#82:  Castillo de San Joaquin

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

Location:

SE corner of Fort Wall, Fort Point, San Francisco (below Golden Gate Bridge)

37.810523,-122.476717

 

 

Plaque:

Private Plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

The first ship to enter San Francisco Bay, the San Carlos (Captain Ayala), dropped anchor off this point August 5, 1775. Lieutenant-Colonel Don Juan Bautista de Anza planted the cross on Cantil Blanco (White Cliff) March 28, 1776. The first fortification, Castillo de San Joaquin, was completed December 8, 1794 by Jose Joaquin de Arrillaga, sixth Governor of California. In 1853 United States Army engineers cut down the cliff and built Fort Point, renamed Fort Winfield Scott in 1882. This fort is a partial replica of Fort Sumter and is the only brick fort west of the Mississippi, its seawall has stood undamaged for over a hundred years.

This tabled placed by San Francisco Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution 1955



©2009 David Schmitt