From the plaque:
A fashionable neighborhood
in the 1860s, Rincon Hill was the home of William Tecumseh
Sherman, William C. Ralston, William Gwin, H. H. Bancroft,
and others. By the 1880s the hill, already partially leveled,
became a working class district. Today it is nearly invisible
beneath the Bay Bridge. This plaque is mounted on the
retaining wall of St. Mary's Hospital, built 1861 but
destroyed in the fire of 1906.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Yerba Buena Chapter No. 1 of E Clampus Vitus and Charles Albert Shumate, April 16, 1981.
Plaque replaced in cooperation with the California Department on Transportation and Yerba Buena Number One, Capitulus Redivivius, E Clampus Vitus, after removal of St. Mary's Hospital retaining wall and installed approximately 900 feet northeast of original location in October of 2011.