From the plaque:
California's first state
fair was held on this site on October 4, 1854. Sponsored
by the California State Agricultural Society, the exhibition
of 'horses, cattle, mules, and other stock, and agricultural,
mechanical, and domestic manufacture and productions'
promoted the new state's growing agricultural industry.
A different city held the fair each year, until Sacramento
became the permanent location in 1861.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Grand Parlor, Native Sons of the Golden West, August 17, 1973.