.

#149:  Benson's Ferry

<< 1 >>

Location:

S bank of N Fork Mokelumne River 100 ft W of County Rd J8, 3 mi N of Thornton

~38.255311,-121.440571

 

 

Plaque:

No Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

This river ferry, established in 1849, was purchased by John A. Benson in 1850. In 1852, Benson laid out the then-principal wagon road between Sacramento and Stockton. Following Benson's murder in 1859, the ferry was operated by his son-in-law, Ed Gayetty.



©2009 David Schmitt