.

#178:  Site of First Building in Present City of Stockton

<< 1 2 3 >>

Location:

City Hall, on Civic St between Miner and El Dorado Sts, Stockton

37.957139,-121.291811

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

Lindsay Point, Site of the first building in Stockton

In August 1844, the first settlers arrived at Rancho del Campo de los Franceses. One of the company, Thomas Lindsay, built the first dwelling, a tule hut, on this site. He was later murdered by Indians and buried here by travelers. The Point was formed by the junction of McLeod's Lake and Miner's Channel.



David Schmitt