From the Plaque:
November 6-10, 1769. Near "El Palo Alto", the tall tree, the Portolá
expedition of 63 men and 200 horses and mules camped. They had traveled from San
Diego in search of Monterey but discovered instead the
Bay of San Francisco. Finding the bay too large to go
around, and deciding that Monterey had been by-passed,
they ended the search and returned to San Diego.
Plaque placed by the state Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Portolá Expedition Bicentennial Foundation, November 9, 1968.