#22:  Portola Expedition Camp

<< 1 2 >>


Mouth of Purisima Creek, 1/2 mi W of State Hwy 1 (P.M. 24.6), 4.1 mi S of Half Moon Bay





No Plaque



From the Guidebook:

The Portolá Expedition of 1769 camped on the south bank of Purisima Creek on October 27. The Indian village on the north bank of the creek was named 'Las Pulgas' by the army engineer with the party because the soldiers who occupied some abandoned Indian huts became covered with fleas.

2009 David Schmitt