.

#24:  Portola Expedition Camp

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

SE corner of Crespi Dr and State Hwy 1, Pacifica

37.599296,-122.499984

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

The Portolá Expedition of 1769 camped near the San Pedro Creek, where there was an Indian village, from October 31 to November 3. To that camp scouting parties brought news of a body of water to the east.


From the plaque:

Captain Gaspar de Portolá camped, October 31, 1769, by the creek at the south side of this valley, and to that camp scouting parties brought news of a body of water to the east. On November 4 the expedition advanced. Turning inland here, they climbed to the summit of Sweeney Ridge and beheld for the first time the Bay of San Francisco.

Tablet placed by California Centennials Commission. Base furnished by County Board of Supervisors in cooperation with the San Mateo County Historical Association. Dedicated October 16, 1949.



2009 David Schmitt