From the plaque:
The home of Francisco
Sánchez (B. 1805, D. 1862), alcalde of San Francisco and
commandante of militia under the Mexican Republic, grantee
of the 8,926-acre Rancho San Pedro, and later a respected
American citizen. His house, built 1842-46, afterwards
was owned and remodeled by General Edward Kirkpatrick,
it was purchased by the County of San Mateo in 1947 to
be preserved as a public museum.
California State Park Commission. Monument base erected by the County of San Mateo in cooperation with the San Mateo Historical Association. Dedicated June 6, 1953.