From the plaque:
Here on the banks of San
Mateo Creek Captain J. B. de Anza camped March 29, 1776,
after exploring the peninsula and selecting the sites
for the Mission and Presidio of San Francisco. Here also the party
of families, soldiers, and priests, on their way to found
San Francisco camped for three days, June 24-27, 1776.
Tablet placed by California Centennial Commission. Base furnished by City of San Mateo in cooperation with San Mateo County Historical Association. Dedicated October 16, 1949.