From the plaque:
Here stood the lumberman's
village of Searsville whose first settler, John Sears,
came in 1854. Across the road, westerly from this monument,
stood a hotel. The school, store, blacksmith shop, and
dwellings were to the southeast, some on the site of the
present lake and others overlooking it. Buildings
were removed in 1891, as water rose behind the new dam.
Marker placed by the Board of Supervisors of San Mateo County in cooperation with the San Mateo County Historical Association. Dedicated June 8, 1952.