From the Guidebook:
About 300 feet south of this
monument, on the banks of the Alambique Creek, stood San
Mateo County's first sawmill, built by Charles Brown in
1847. About the same time, Dennis Martin was building
a second mill on San Francisquito
Creek. Both were run by water power and were similar in structure to the famous Sutter's
Mill at Coloma.
Marker place by the Board of Supervisors of San Mateo County in cooperation with the San Mateo County Historical Association. Dedicated June 8, 1952.