.

#816:  Union Cemetery

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Location:

approx. 330 Woodside Rd, Redwood City

37.472695,-122.222980

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

The name of this cemetery, established before the first shots were fired at Fort Sumter, reflects the controversy that brought on the Civil War. On March 16, 1859, the purchase of six acres was consummated but the cemetery association, not being a corporate body, did not take title to the property. Instead it was deeded 'to John B. Weller, Governor of California and his successors in office . . . in trust for the use and benefit of the Union Cemetery Association of San Mateo County.'


From the plaque:

Union Cemetery's name reflects the controversy that erupted in the Civil War, three years after the cemetery's beginnings in 1859. Pro- and anti- slavery feelings ran high in California, and the founders of the cemetery strongly opposed the secessionist sentiment that threatened the nation's unity. Because of a controversy over the cemetery's ownership, the state enacted its first cemetery legislation. Although its provisions did not affect Union Cemetery, the law of 1859 allowed for the incorporation of rural burial grounds. The state of California owned Union Cemetery from 1859 until 1962 when it was deeded to Redwood City.

Originally registered June 1, 1967. Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Union Cemetery Association and Capitulus Redivivus Yerba Buena No.1, A&HO of E Clampsus Vitus, July 4, 1999.



2009 David Schmitt