From the plaque:
This structure, built by
Felix Buelna in the 1850s, served as a gambling retreat
and meeting place for Mexican-Californios. It was strategically
located on the earliest trail used both by rancheros and
American settlers crossing the peninsula to the coast and served this remote area.
Acquired by an American in 1868, it has continued to serve
under various names as a roadhouse and saloon.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Town of Portola Valley, May 24, 1969.