.

#907:  Filoli

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Location:

Filoli Center, Canada Rd (P.M. 2. 7), 5 mi N of Woodside

37.470493,-122.309829

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

Site and plaque access limited to operating hours and subject to fee.


From the Guidebook:

Filoli, built as the home of mining entrepreneur William B. Bourn II, was the last great residential commission of one of California's most important architects, Willis Polk. Built in Georgian Revival style with its formal gardens, Filoli is an outstanding example of the grand estates of the late 1800s.


From the plaque:

Fight - Love - Live

This country estate was begun in 1915 for Mr. and Mrs. William B. Bourn, II. Architect Willis J. Polk designed a modified Georgian style country house, subsequently the carriage house and garden pavilion were executed by Arthur Brown. The formal gardens were created by Bruce Porter. In 1937 the estate was acquired by Mr. and Mrs. William P. Roth.

Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the National Trust for Historic Preservation and with teh Filoli Center, July 21, 1980.



2009 David Schmitt