From the plaque:
Built in 1854 among sawmills
and redwood groves by Dr. R. O. Tripp and M. A. Parkhurst,
operated by Dr. Tripp in person (who also served as
dentist, librarian, postmaster, and community leader)
until his death in 1909. It was purchased by the County
of San Mateo 1940, opened as a public museum on
September 7, 1947.
Tablet placed by California Centennials Commission. Base furnished by County Board of Supervisors in cooperation with San Mateo County Historical Association. Dedicated October 16, 1949.