From the plaque:
Thought to have once been
the Indian village of Syujtun, this site has yielded some
of the most important archeological evidence found in
California. In 1542 the village was recorded by Cabrillo
while on his voyage of discovery, and again in 1769 by
Fr. Crespí and the redoubtable Portolá.
Don Luís Burton, after whom the mound was named,
acquired the property in 1860.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the California Historical Landmarks Advisory Committee, The Grand Parlor of the Native Sons and Daughters of the Golden West, and the City of Santa Barbara, August 5, 1966.