.

#307:  Casa de La Guerra

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

Location:

El Paseo Plaza, SE corner of De La Guerra St and De La Guerra Plaza, Santa Barbara

34.420129,-119.698973

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

A common council was duly elected near this site on August 26, 1850, two weeks before California statehood. The City of Santa Barbara held its first official meeting here in 1875, the first city hall was erected here, and the area is still center of city's governmental activities. The plaza was the scene of early Santa Barbara fiestas, and the hospitality at the de la Guerra house set standards for Santa Barbara.


From the plaque:

De la Guerra Plaza 1850 - 1950

Near this site August 26, 1850, two weeks before California Statehood, duly elected common council, City of Santa Barbara, held first official meeting. Here in 1875, first City Hall erected and area still center of city's governmental activities. Plaza scene early Santa Barbara fiestas, and De La Guerra House set standards for Santa Barbara hospitality.

Marker erected by California Centennials Commission in cooperation with Old Spanish Days in Santa Barbara and Santa Barbara Historical Society. Dedicated August 26, 1950.



©2009 David Schmitt