.

#308:  Covarrubias Adobe

<< 1 >>

Location:

715 N Santa Barbara St, Santa Barbara

34.421199,-119.696572

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

Casa Covarrubias

Built by Indian labor in 1817 for Don Domingo Carrillo, whose daughter married Don Jose Maria Covarrubias in 1838. Descendants of these families, many of them leaders in public affairs, occupied this house for over a century. Don Jose Maria was the first Federal Elector from California in 1852. John R. Southworth moved and rebuilt the historic adobe here in 1924 as part of a civic program of historic preservation. Los Adobes De Los Rancheros acquired the property in 1938 as headquarters for Los Rancheros Visitadores and for the use and enjoyment of the people.

Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Los Adobes de los Rancheros, April 21, 1959.



©2009 David Schmitt