.

#340:  Mission La Purisima

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >>

Location:

La Purisima Mission State Historic Park, N side of intersection of Mission Gate Rd and Purisima Rd, on State Hwy 246, 3 mi E of Lompoc

Plaque 1: 34.664660, -120.403145
Plaque 2: 34.669706, -120.420725
Site: 34.711238, -120.435901

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

There are 2 plaques for this mission. One is located at the intersection of Rucker and Harris Grade Rd, north of the mission. The other is on the north side of Hwy 246, about 1 mile east of the mission.


From the Guidebook:

Established December 8, 1787, by Father Lasuén, the mission was badly damaged by an earthquake in 1812. Removed from control of Franciscans during secularization of the missions, it was abandoned in 1834. State and National Park Services and the Civilian Conservation Corps restored major and many small structures and the water system so that today La Purisima is the only example in California of a complete mission.


From the plaque:

Established, December 8, 1787, by Father Laseun. Damaged by earthquake, 1812; removed from control of Franciscans, abandoned 1834. State and National Park Service restoring major and many small structures, and water system. Only example in California of complete mission. State Historical Monument.

Department of Public Works - Division of Highways



2009 David Schmitt