From the plaque:
José Lobero opened
the region's first legitimate theatre on this site on
February 22, 1873. For many years the old theatre was
the center of social life in Santa Barbara. A new Lobero
Theatre, opened in 1924 on the same site, continues to
serve the cultural interests of the area.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the County of Santa Barbara, Lobero Theatre Foundation, and Tierra de Oro Parlor No. 304, N.D.G.W., February 22, 1974.