.

#535:  Carpinteria and Indian Village of Mishopshnow

<< 1 >>

Location:

Carpinteria Valley Museum of History, 950 Maple Ave, second plaque located at 1,000 S Carpinteria Ave, Carpinteria

Plaque 1: 34.397487, -119.517889
Plaque 2: 34.392441, -119.510804

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

The Chumash Indian village of Mishopshnow, discovered by Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo on August 14, 1542, was located one-fourth mile southwest of here. Fray Juan Crespí of the Gaspar de Portolá Expedition named it San Roque on August 17, 1769. Portolá's soldiers, observing the Indians building wooden canoes, called the village La Carpinteria-the Carpenter's Shop.

Plaque erected by the County of Santa Barbara in Cooperation with the California State Park Commission.



©2009 David Schmitt