.

#1017:  Gilroy Yamato Hot Springs Resort

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

Location:

9.5 mi NE of junction of New Ave and Roop Rd on Hot Springs Rd, Gilroy (About 3 miles past Hunting Hollow parking area in Henry Coe State Park.

37.108886,-121.478944

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

The site and plaque are on closed CA State Park land, gated and closed. There are periodic tours of the site.


From the Guidebook:

Under the guidance of the George Roop and William McDonald families during the years of 1865 of Francisco Cantua's discovery to the 1930s, Gilroy Hot Springs was a popular health and family resort oriented around a single hot mineral spring located near Coyote Creek. In 1938 the resort was purchased by H.K. Sakata, a successful Japanese American farmer from Watsonville. Renamed the Gilroy Yamato Hot Springs, it was the only Japanese American owned commercial hot springs in California. The resort served as a recreational and spiritual center for Japanese Americans before World War II and briefly as a hostel after the war for those returning from internment camps.



©2009 David Schmitt