.

#250:  Old Sites of Mission Santa Clara de Asis and Old Spanish Bridge

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

SE corner of Central Expressway and De la Cruz Blvd, Santa Clara

37.366782,-121.941147

 

 

Plaque:

No Plaque

Notes:

This park may be the second location of the mission, with the first being down the street a ways.


From the Guidebook:

The first mission in this valley, Mission Santa Clara de Thamien, was established at this site by Franciscan Padres Tomás de la Peña and Joseph Antonio Marguia January 17, 1777. Here, at the Indian village of So-co-is-u-ka, they erected a cross and shelter for worship to bring Christianity to the Costanoan Indians.



©2009 David Schmitt