From the Guidebook:
'Mountain Charley' McKiernan,
one of the earliest residents of the Santa Cruz Mountains,
settled near here in 1850, and John Martin Schultheis
and his wife homesteaded land about a mile from here in
1852. Their home was still standing in 1950. The Patchen
Post Office, named for a famous racehorse, was located
in this vicinity from 1872 to the 1920s.