From the Guidebook:
Mision la Exaltación
de la Santa Cruz, the 12th Franciscan Mission, was consecrated
by Father Fermín Lasuén in August 1791.
In 1793 the adobe church was built where the Holy Cross
Catholic Church is now located. The mission was damaged
by several earthquakes and finally collapsed in 1857.
Plaza Park is located at the center of the mission complex
which contained 32 buildings at the time of its secularization
in 1834, the last building remains on School Street.