.

#469:  Site of Center of Villa de Branciforte

<< 1 >>

Location:

SW corner of Water and Branciforte, Santa Cruz

36.981206,-122.014018

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

These school grounds were the center of Villa de Branciforte, founded in 1797 by Governor Diego de Borica of California on orders from Spain through Viceroy Branciforte in Mexico. The settlement existed as a separate township until 1905, when it was annexed to the city of Santa Cruz.



2009 David Schmitt