.

#379:  Fort Reading

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

0.6 mi E of intersection of Deschutes and Dersch Rds, 6 mi NE of Anderson

40.476533, -122.230077

 

 

Plaque:

Private plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

Fort Reading, established on May 26, 1852 by Second Lieutenant E. N. Davis, Co. E, 2nd Infantry on the orders of Lieutenant Colonel George M. Wright, was the first and largest fort in Northern California. It was named in honor of Pierson Barton Reading and stood in a clearing of 10 acres. The fort was abandoned in June 1867.



©2009 David Schmitt