.

#555:  Lockhart Ferry

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

On State Hwy 299 (P.M. 91.3), W of Long St, 0.3 mi W of Fall River Mills

41.002440,-121.443541

 

 

Plaque:

State plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

Established by Samuel Lockhart in 1856 as a link in the first wagon road from Yreka to Red Bluff, the Lockhart Ferry crossed below the confluence of the Fall and Pit Rivers near this spot. After a massacre in December 1856, the ferry was re-established in 1857 below Fall River Falls.

Plaque placed August 5, 1956 by California State Park Commission in cooperation with Fork Crook Historical Society.



©2009 David Schmitt