.

#759:  Site of the First School in Fall River Valley

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

On State Hwy 299 (P.M. 99.0), 0.4 mi W of Lassen Co line, 3.6 mi E of McArthur

41.070893,-121.337476

 

 

Plaque:

State plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

In 1868, near this spot, the first school in Fall River Valley was built. The building was of log construction, 20 feet by 30 feet, with no floor of windows. About 1870 the first sawmill in the valley was built at Dana, where lumber was obtained to floor in the school house and build school desks.

Plaque placed by the State Park Commission in cooperation with the Fall River Teachers' Association and the Fort Crook Historical Society, May 30, 1961.



©2009 David Schmitt