From the Guidebook:
Captain Charles P. Stone,
with 21 enlisted men, established Benicia Arsenal as an
ordnance depot in August 1851. The first building, a small
wooden powder magazine, was erected in September 1851.
Between 1853 and 1863, Congress authorized $550,000 to
be spent on the establishment, and some 15 stone and frame
buildings were constructed. The arsenal was first called
'California Ordnance Depot,' then 'Benicia Arsenal Depot,'
and finally, in the spring of 1852, 'Benicia Arsenal.'
It played an important role in crises such as the Indian
wars. Some of its original buildings are in use today.
Descendants of the men who established Benicia Arsenal
are still living in Benicia and other parts of California.