From the Guidebook:
In 1882, Matthew Turner of
San Francisco relocated his shipyard to Benicia. Turner,
the most prodigious shipbuilder in North America, constructed
228 vessels, 169 of which were launched here. In 1913,
the shipyard was purchased by James Robertson, who operated
it until 1918. The yard sways, and the Whaler Stamboul,
used as a shipyard work platform, are visible at low tide.