From the Guidebook:
Erected by General Mariano G.
Vallejo about 1840 to accommodate emigrants and other
travelers. Purchased in gold rush days by
Cooper and Spriggs, two retired sea-faring men, and operated
as hotel and store. Among first hostelries in Northern
California. Notable guests, according to local tradition,
included John C. Frémont, U. S. Grant, Governor
Pío Pico, Kit Carson, "Fighting Joe" Hooker, William
T. Sherman, Phil Sheridan, and members of the Bear Flag
Party. Classed among the notorious visitors were bandit Murietta and "Three-Fingered Jack."
Placed by Historic Landmark Committee, Native Sons of the Golden West, October 1941.