.

#5:  Fort Ross

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Location:

19005 Coast Hwy, State Hwy 1 (P.M. 33.0), 12 mi N of Jenner

Plaque: 38.516306,-123.246569
Site: 38.514321,-123.243577

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

Site is a part of a State Historic Park. Fee required to access during operating hours.


From the plaque:

Founded in 1812 by Russians from Sitka. When Russians withdrew to Alaska in 1841, Captain Sutter bought the improvements and supplies. Acquired by state in 1906 and remaining buildings restored - Greek Orthodox chapel, Commandant's quarters, and stockade. Now a state historical monument.

Department of Public Works - Division of Highways



2009 David Schmitt