.

#739:  Vineyard and Winery (San Francisco Solano Mission Vineyard)

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

394 4th St E at Spain St, Sonoma

38.293303,-122.449527

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

Here in 1825 the Franciscan Fathers of San Francisco Solano de Sonoma Mission planted the first vineyard in Sonoma Valley. The grapes were used for making sacramental wines. After secularization of the mission in 1835, General Mariano G. Vallejo, Commandant of Alta California's northern frontier, produced prize-winning wines from these grapes. Samuele Sebastiani, with his wife Elvira, purchased this property in the early 1900s. A young immigrant from Italy, he had come here to make his fortune. Since that time, he and his family have continued with distinction the traditions handed down to them through the years. Much of the original mission vineyard is still planted to choice wine grapes.

Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Sonoma Valley Historical Society, September 24, 1960.



2009 David Schmitt