From the plaque:
Discovered in 1602-03 by
the expedition of Vizcaino. It was named by Bodega in
his survey of 1775. The harbor was used in 1790 by Colnett
and by the Kusov expeditions in 1809 and 1811. The Russian-American
company and their Aleut hunters used the bay as an outpost
until 1841, Stephen Smith took control in 1843. Pioneer
ships of many nations used Bodega Bay as an anchorage.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Westerners and Sonoma County Parks and Recreation, May 24, 1970.