.

#981:  Icaria-Speranza Commune

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

W side of Asti Rd, .5 mi N of Theresa Dr, Cloverdale

38.774073,-122.999624

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

Icaria-Speranza was a Utopian community based on the writings of French philosopher Etienne Cabet. In 1881, at Cloverdale, French immigrant families led by the Dehay and Leroux families began their social experiment in cooperative living based on solidarity and depending on an agrarian economy. It lasted until 1886. Icaria-Speranza was the only Icarian Colony in California and the last of seven established throughout the United States. On this site stood the Icarian schoolhouse, deeded to the county in 1886.

Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the National Icarian Heritage Society and the Cloverdale Historical Society, July 22, 1989.



2009 David Schmitt