From the Guidebook:
French settlers originally
established the community of French Bar along the Tuolumne
River in 1850. After the destructive floods of 1851-52,
citizens of French Bar relocated one mile upstream above
the floodplain. Renamed La Grange, the new town prospered
as a mining and agricultural community, and served as
the county seat of Stanislaus County from 1856 to 1862.