.

#415:  The Willms Ranch

<< 1 2 3 >>

Location:

On Willms Rd, 1.3 mi S of State Hwy 120 (P.M. 170), 1.9 mi S of Knights Ferry

37.800068,-120.645845

 

 

Plaque:

No Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

Arriving in California October 12, 1849, John R. Willms and John H. Kappelmann engaged in the hotel and butcher businesses in Buena Vista, in what is now Stanislaus County. They bought up mining claims and settler's claims until, by 1852, they had a tract of 3,600 acres. The 'KW' brand was the first in Tuolumne County in 1852. After the death of Kappelmann, Willms carried on alone, and the ranch has been owned by the Willms family ever since.



David Schmitt